The Wilhelm Scream

December 31st, 2002 § 6 comments

The Wilhelm Scream is a funny article about a bit of movie trivia: a recurrent cry that has found its place in many of the most famous films of all times including Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Toy Story and Batman Returns. According the article it’s “an inimitable cry of pain and alarm” which first appeared in a 1953’s western flick, where a cowboy named Wilhelm is hit in the leg by an arrow. The article also has a downloadable compilation of films featuring the scream.

§ 6 Responses to The Wilhelm Scream"

• Steve Lee says:

Actually, the Wilhelm goes back further than “Charge at Feather River” – it was originally recorded for “Distant Drums” in 1951.

For a thorough list of all Wilhelm’s appearances, check out http://www.HollywoodLostAndFound.net/wilhelm.html

• Ronaldo says:

Nice list! This Wilhelm thing is actually very funny. I’m now trying to hear it on movies, although I had no luck so far :)

• Bassman says:

It’s latest occurance is in “Kill Bill”

• Meredith says:

There are apparently a couple of Wilhelms in “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King” – that’s how I came to be looking for information on it. I didn’t actually hear it in that movie, but the Hollywood Lost and Found site does claim they are there.

• Ronaldo says:

That’s what I heard too. Actually, it seems all three movies feature at least one Wilhelm. It has become pretty much a tradition.

• Gutzdreg says:

In ROTK, there was one made by a soldier of gondor during the retreat towards gondor after osgiliath. A fell-beast picks him up and drops him. Also a southron make the noise when legolas is taking out his mumak.

In TTT i know it is uttered when a soldier gets hit by a grappling hook. I wasn’t aware of any instance in FOR, but I think that they should have had isildur give a wilhelm when he chopped off the ring.

What's this?

You are currently reading The Wilhelm Scream at Reflective Surface.

meta